top of page
HOliday Giving Campaign 2022.png



Fox siblings.png
Fox kits 2.png

These red fox siblings were orphaned at only a month old. Alone, hungry, and scared they were captured and brought to us at Calgary Wildlife for care. They were thin and dehydrated when brought in, likely because they’d been without their mom for some time. They were quickly examined and given enough food to satisfy their appetites and a warm and safe place to recover. After 150 days in care these three siblings were released together back to the wild where they belong.

Mule Deer.jpg

This baby deer was admitted to Calgary Wildlife after being attacked by a dog and then getting caught up in barbed wire. She had deep cuts on her legs and ears and her left thigh was extremely swollen. Despite the trauma, she had just faced and her injuries, she had a sweet and quiet nature when brought into the centre. She was treated by our team and kept in isolation for the first 3 weeks to ensure her wounds were fully healed, before moving her to our deer corral with our other fawn. After a few hours, they became fast friends and are being soft released together to join some already established herds.

This gorgeous ferruginous hawk was brought into the centre as a juvenile with a shoulder injury mid-summer. As with many of our patients, we can't always say what caused the injury, all we can do is do our best to treat it and get the animal back to the wild where they belong. The Ferruginous Hawk is native to the prairie provinces and is endangered due to the loss of habitats, such as trees for nesting and the grasslands. This specific ferruginous hawk was in our care, healing for just over a month. After successful flight tests and prey-catching tests, he was successfully released back to the wild where he belongs.

Northern Hawk Owl.jpg

Some patients stay with us for a long time, and some not so long. This Northern Hawk Owl was only with us for a couple of weeks after a window strike. Window strikes are very common occurrences that happen in urban settings to many different types of birds, and we take in countless cases annually. Luckily, this beauty just needed a few weeks of rest to recover from the trauma and some antibiotics to treat a mild infection in its mouth. After passing all our pre-release tests, this majestic owl was released back to its natural habitat.

Least Chipmunk.jpg

At Calgary Wildlife we accept all patients, no matter the species, no matter the size. This tiny Least Chipmunk is the perfect example of that. He was brought to us from a campground just outside of Calgary after the concerned camper observed him moving abnormally in continuous circles. Without intervention, this poor little guy likely wouldn't have survived. Upon arriving at our centre, an exam confirmed he was suffering from head trauma, as his pupils weren't reacting to light and he had a persistent head tilt. Although small, this guy was a fighter. After a month and a half in care, all of his neurologic symptoms were gone and he was released back into the area where he was found. By providing a safe bed, fresh food and water, and some basic medical treatment, Calgary Wildlife was able to give this tiny creature just what he needed for a second chance at a life in the wild!


At just a month old, this bobcat kit somehow got separated from her mom and was found beside the train tracks in the city. Luckily a City worker spotted her and she was brought into the centre. As she wasn't injured or dehydrated when she was brought in, we were able to assess that she hadn't been without her mom for long. Our first course of action is always to reunite babies with their moms when possible, and so we went on the hunt to find mom's den, which amazingly we found straight away! Our professional wildlife rehabbers and biologist spent 2 full days attempting to reunite this kit with her mom, but sadly mom didn't come for her and the kit was getting too hungry to be left any longer. At this time we made the difficult decision to give up on reuniting the pair and brought her into care. Like any young mammal, she had to be fed on a regular schedule around the clock. She's been in care now for four months and will be released back to the wild when she's big enough to take care of herself.

bottom of page